The Levins are a harmony-driven acoustic duo known for their sun-splashed, peace infused songwriting that connects on a universal level and celebrates our common humanity. These award winners (Indie Acoustic, Empower Music, CTFolk, S.Florida Festival, MASC) were 2017 SERFA and 2016 NERFA Formal Showcase Artists and 2014 Falcon Ridge Emerging Artists. Unique harmonies and tightly blended unison vocals, along with their guitar and piano interplay, reflect the couples own compatible musical/personal relationship which began after meeting at an open mic at The Freight and Salvage in Berkeley CA. Their My Friend Hafiz CD debuted in the top 20 on Folk DJ & their latest, TRUST, in the top 10. (Top 10 song/2015, JohnPlatt, WFUV) and "underscores the positive messages of love, peace and self-awareness. Each tune serves as another stepping stone toward a better day & a richer life." Tom Staudter.
Special programming - The Levins offer special adult & family programming for libraries, festivals and special events: http://www.thelevinsmusic.com/adult-programs
Performed in an original full-scale theatrical circus production in December 2018 in San Francisco, based on their 2013 CD, My Friend Hafiz.
- Performed at the 2018 Parliament of World Religions in Toronto
- Official Formal Showcase Artist - NERFA Conference November 2016
- 2016 "I Am Here"- Finalist, Empower Music Awards, Tampa Fl
- 2015 "Trust" - Finalist in the Mid-Atlantic Songwriting Competition
- 2015 NERFA DJ Showcase
- 2015 "I Am Here- Top Song/ John Platt, WFUV
- 2015 TRUST CD- Top 10 CD / Joe Pzsonek, WMSC
- 2015 TRUST CD - #9 Folk DJ Charts, Feb/ #43 for 2015
- 2015 South Florida Folk Festival Songwriting Competition Finalist
- 2014 Emerging Artist: Falcon Ridge,
- 2014 NERFA NJ Featured showcase artists
- 2014 Honorable Mention / Falcon Ridge "Most Wanted" Artists
- 2013 Top 10 CD +Song / John Platt, WFUV
- 2013 (March) / FOLK DJ Top 20 CDs/Top 25 Artists
- 2011 Winner, Connecticut Folk Festival Songwriter Competition
“The Levins speak to our better selves with their crystalline harmonies and uplifting lyrics.”
“The Levins are originals! Interlocking vocals – counter singing – these two sound like multiple vocals and I can think of no one who writes tunes in this fashion. It’s almost as if they have created a new “classical” music.”
"Songs that smile…. remarkable vocal arrangements that feature intertwining lines and gorgeous harmonies, a sun-splashed style underscores the positive messages of love, peace and self-awareness. A perfect antidote to the headlines of the NY Times and the world of sadness and horror hinted at on television. The straight forward vocals and unhurried tempos allow listeners to share in the earnest and honest musical art that Julia and Ira have perfected. Each tune serves as another stepping stone toward a better day and a richer life."
"Somewhere between Jackie & Roy, Lou & Peter Berryman, and Kim & Reggie Harris lie the Levins. The songwriting is alluring, the vocals seem like one-blended, their playing and stage presence just perfect. In the pantheon of husband-wife duos, in any genre of music, run the tape and see....this duo is how it is done."