July 21, 1946 – November 7, 2011
to those done well or ill by me
or wrongs I can’t recall
the violence of a careless word
the faithful kiss turned false
I wrote this song and drank the ink
of the words I didn’t need
to make amends for love’s loose ends
and familiar mysteries
The Levins offer harmony-driven acoustic music that is warm and uplifting without skating over the complexities of life. Guitar and piano, along with tightly blended unison vocals, reflect the couple’s own compatible musical and personal relationship which began with meeting at an open mike in CA. They are 2014 Falcon Ridge Emerging Artists, CT Folk Festival Songwriter winners, and South Florida Folk Festival Songwriter Finalists. Their My Friend Hafiz CD, was selected by John Platt, WFUV as a top 10 CD of 2013.
Their 2015 release, TRUST debuted in the Top 10 on Folk radio and top 20 Roots Chart. “I Am Here”, a song from the CD was a 2016 Empower Award winner at the 2016 Posi Music Festival. Their music continues to connect on a universal level with a lighthearted depth and a celebration of our common humanity.
Special programming - The Levins offer special adult & family programming for libraries, festivals and special events: http://www.thelevinsmusic.com/adult-programs
- 2016 "I Am Here"- Finalist, Empower Music Awards, Tampa Fl
- 2015 "Trust" - Finalist in the Mid-Atlantic Songwriting Competition
- 2015 NERFA DJ Showcase
- 2015 "I Am Here- Top Song/ John Platt, WFUV
- 2015 TRUST CD- Top 10 CD / Joe Pzsonek, WMSC
- 2015 TRUST CD - #9 Folk DJ Charts, Feb/ #43 for 2015
- 2015 South Florida Folk Festival Songwriting Competition Finalist
- 2014 Emerging Artist: Falcon Ridge,
- 2014 NERFA NJ Featured showcase artists
- 2014 Honorable Mention / Falcon Ridge "Most Wanted" Artists
- 2013 Top 10 CD +Song / John Platt, WFUV
- 2013 (March) / FOLK DJ Top 20 CDs/Top 25 Artists
- 2011 Winner, Connecticut Folk Festival Songwriter Competition
“The Levins speak to our better selves with their crystalline harmonies and uplifting lyrics.”
“The Levins are originals! Interlocking vocals – counter singing – these two sound like multiple vocals and I can think of no one who writes tunes in this fashion. It’s almost as if they have created a new “classical” music.”
"Songs that smile…. remarkable vocal arrangements that feature intertwining lines and gorgeous harmonies, a sun-splashed style underscores the positive messages of love, peace and self-awareness. A perfect antidote to the headlines of the NY Times and the world of sadness and horror hinted at on television. The straight forward vocals and unhurried tempos allow listeners to share in the earnest and honest musical art that Julia and Ira have perfected. Each tune serves as another stepping stone toward a better day and a richer life."
"Somewhere between Jackie & Roy, Lou & Peter Berryman, and Kim & Reggie Harris lie the Levins. The songwriting is alluring, the vocals seem like one-blended, their playing and stage presence just perfect. In the pantheon of husband-wife duos, in any genre of music, run the tape and see....this duo is how it is done."